Monday, September 11, 2006

five years ago today

I was in my ninth grade English class when my teacher said someone had attacked the World Trade Center with planes. I thought she meant fighter planes firing missiles at it or something. I didn't know what to think.

It wasn't until I got to lunch that I really realized what was going on, because TVs had been set up in the cafeteria so we could all watch the news coverage. When lunch period ended I seriously considered skipping my next class in order to stay there and keep watching CNN, and skipping class is something I would normally never ever even have thought about doing.

Anyway, my next class was biology, and my biology said something I'll never forget: "We aren't going to have another normal day for a long time." We all thought this might be just the beginning, but even though there hasn't been a major attack on American soil since then, she was right. There hasn't been a normal day since, not really, not according to what we thought was normal before that day.

I had a dentist appointment that evening.

It was a Tuesday.

Funny, the things you remember.

1 Comments:

At 11 September, 2006 13:25, Blogger zilla said...

Amazing -- you must be around Moose & Myrtle's ages. I SO wanted them to come home early that day, but they wouldn't have been excused. "Business as usual." Pffft.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home